Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Wearing Brief to the YMCA?

• I swam in high school, which was 10 years ago, and recently got back into swimming. I am wanting to wear a brief style swim suit due to less drag. I have gotten brave enough to wear a brief style suit with a mesh drag suit over it. I am 6'1" and 180 lbs. I am afraid that someone will say something about me wearing it while swimming laps in the morning. Should I just continue to wear the mesh drag suit over the brief just wear the brief style suit?

• If you are comfortable then wear what you want. You are swimming laps to get back in shape and it is part of your uniform. Football players wear pads, wrestlers singlets swimmers briefs or jammers. It doesn't matter what other people think nor should you care. Go for it.

• Briefs are no big deal at YMCAs. I'm a guard at one and regularly swim in a brief. Most people are more than happy to just get their swim in and don't really worry about other people.

• Brave? If you don't feel comfortable then wear something that is. Bravery is not necessary. People have gotten really sensitive these days about body image, but I find that in the pool everyone looks pretty good.

Briefs are perfectly acceptable in most pools where people work out. Not to mention that they dry a lot faster and are easier to put on. I personally think that jammers are more a fashion trend related to longer mens basketball or running shorts. Unless it's a technical fabric, they don't provide an advantage.

However, if you live and work out in a place where your clothing is going to be made fun of, then decide if it's worth it to be different or go with the flow.

• Embrace the brief! People that goes to swimming pools for exercise won't even care about a swim brief wearer. go ahead!

• I recently got back into swimming. When i first started, I got a speedo brand brief but one that wasn't cut very high. I was nervous. After a few swims I realized no one cares. I now wear a brief with a higher cut for less drag.

• Be confident and wear your briefs at the "Y" (and at the beach). I am 63, 5'-11, 180 and wear super brief Speedo Solar to my "Y" without any weird looks or consternation (I am definitely not the most fit person in the pool). Have even worn the Sporti Euro. As a matter of fact there have been more than a few males that have switched from their baggies to briefs due to just locker room chatter about comfort vs. pride. My guess is that way more than half are now in briefs. Go for it and watch others join you.

• The swim teams at the YMCA all wear briefs, all the local school teams and the Y teams too. They are common place. Yes, the Y is a conservative, christian company but briefs are not an issue.

• Briefs are pretty standard swimming attire, especially for someone serious about the discipline, no matter where you're swimming. If you're really too embarrassed, you could wear jammers or briefs with a drag suit, but personally I much prefer rocking the brief. It makes me feel like a "real" swimmer, and I find it much more comfortable.

• Find a brief that fits comfortably and securely. Once you are in the water you won't even think about it, and nobody else cares.
    Less is more. Less drag, more freedom. Less water you carry home, more dry suit.

I wear a brief for lap swimming at Y, college pool, public pool, health club. I wear boxers at the beach, but may remove them when I go into the water.

Do what feels right for you.

• Just a silly sidenote, but if you are feeling a wee timid about wearing a brief to the pool, make sure during this great Summer weather you tan while wearing the brief. Your confidence level will rise because you won't be sporting the visual "white leg" syndrome when you hit the pool later this Fall/Winter.

• I actually encourage every person who wants to get back into swimming to wear briefs. I find that it makes the workout easier and if you are already showing your legs, you will want to show off your speed! #SwimLikeYouAreRacing

• A couple of decades ago I was a lifeguard instructor. In one class I had 2 male students from an ethnic group that today still feels "real men don't wear briefs". One of the tests to become a guard was to be able to swim 500 yards in under 10 minutes. Both wore bulky shorts and neither could pass the test. I took them both aside and highly encouraged them to buy one pair, wear them for the test, then ditch them if they wanted. They both did as I suggested and took a full 90 seconds off their time and passed. They were sold! If you feel like everyone is watching you, give them something to watch: be as "professional" and as serious about your sport as you can. In 23 years of swimming in briefs, I haven't met anyone out at the pool who doesn't respect that.

• Wear what you want and what you're comfortable in. Nobody will look twice at what you're wearing in the pool, especially not briefs. As long as you're comfortable, you're all good. Don't worry about it.

• Sure you must. This is the country of freedom, there's no rules what to wear at pools or beaches. I understand at the beginning is difficult, but it's your uniform for practice your sport activity. I live in Los Angeles and a lot of guys wear swim briefs, and not only the traditional black color, a lot of colors and brands. Just be proud and yourself, life is only one. ;)

• Rodney L said:

I swam in high school, which was 10 years ago, and recently got back into swimming. I am wanting to wear a brief style swim suit due to less drag. I have gotten brave enough to wear a brief style suit with a mesh drag suit over it. I am 6'1" and 180 lbs. I am afraid that someone will say something about me wearing it while swimming laps in the morning. Should I just continue to wear the mesh drag suit over the brief just wear the brief style suit?

I support stepping out in your brief. Just say no to body shaming. I swim for recreation and prefer briefs cuz the feeling of the water moving past my skin is awesome. The comfort of briefs is awesome. Drag only matters to me in the sense that a draggy suit does not feel sleek in the water. Feeling sleek makes me feel fast and strong, so briefs it is. How did your experience turn out for you?

• At my Seattle Y the majority of males wear briefs especially for early morning swims. Recently I decided since it is winter and I am getting older I would get a jammer for warmth and modesty. After swimming it, yuk... did not like the feel, comfort, or the constant waist band pull. Back now in to briefs and feels great! It was interesting to have a couple of the female lappers comment about my jammers in a tongue-in-cheek negative way, however never a discerning comment to me or others when we sport our briefs... I think they like the "eye candy" :) Rock the Speedo and be proud of your commitment to your body, both in the pool and at the beach.