Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Swim strokes

• I am 61 and just learning back and butterfly. Really struggling with staying straight in backstroke and breathing in butterfly. Suggestions ???

• With backstroke, I still wander a little bit in my lane, but focus on two things: try to make each arm pull the same amount of water. I find one side is a little stronger than the other (my dominant hand), so I really pay attention to the pull phase of my non-dominant hand to stay straight. Pick a line on the ceiling (maybe ductwork or row of lights, maybe ceiling tiles, a painted line...) and really focus on staying under it or parallel to it.

With butterfly breathing, there are a lot of ways to do it wrong... Without seeing you swim, I'm not sure how to advise. Best of luck!!

• I'm 31 years old trying to my very best in swimming like everybody else being the very best. My favorite swim strokes is freestyle and backstroke. I'm still trying to butterfly and breaststroke the right way but no good. I won't give up until I learn all the swim strokes.

• With backstroke, I still wander a little bit in my lane, but focus on two things: try to make each arm pull the same amount of water. I find one side is a little stronger than the other (my dominant hand), so I really pay attention to the pull phase of my non-dominant hand to stay straight. Pick a line on the ceiling (maybe ductwork or row of lights, maybe ceiling tiles, a painted line...) and really focus on staying under it or parallel to it.

With butterfly breathing, there are a lot of ways to do it wrong... Without seeing you swim, I'm not sure how to advise. Best of luck!!

Thank you.

• Backstroke: In addition to a stronger pull on the dominant side, very often the body is not in a straight line. Ask someone to observe you. Shoulder on recovering side should be skyward. Hand enters at 11 or 1 o'clock.

You may find practice with fins and snorkel helpful for fly. Once the stroke is coordinated, breathing is easier. I like to think of lifting the feet with straight legs up out of the water as the head comes up, creating an arch in the spine.