Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

How many pairs of swim briefs?

• I swim about 60-70 laps a week. This is the first time that i swim regularly. How pairs of briefs should I have/rotate? Thanks!

• I try to swim a mile 3-4 times a week. I have two suits I alternate every other time. Both Sporti briefs.

• The rule of thumb I learned by is to have TWO swimsuits TWO goggles, and TWO caps in your bag at all times... to be ready and just in case one "fails". Just this week, I had a goggle break at the nose piece. If I had not had a spare, the day would have been over. Rotate them all as the whim hits you.

• I have two pairs of Tyr briefs that I rotate between regularly (swim 3-4 days a week). I actually own a third Speedo brand brief, but I don't like the way it fits as well, so it's not in the regular rotation.

• Yes, you minimally need two of everything. But the answer is: However many you want (and can afford). When I first started swimming I would reward myself for reaching goals. If I go this many days and this many laps within a designated time, I'm rewarding myself with those goggles or trunks etc. And the wear and tear usually creeps up on you so always have backups to your backups. You're going to have that day when usually perfectly good goggles just give you a bad swim and you're going to rip them off and throw them in the garbage. OK so I guess that means 3 of everything

• Regularly alternate two. The polyester ones such as waterpolo briefs last much longer than lycra and feel secure. Rinse them well after the swim and allow to dry.

• For me, I only have one swim brief and it's the Speedo Vortex Brief that I got last year. I hope to get more from my favorite swim brand, Speedo USA. I wanna keep up with every swimmer even though I have autism, I'm still trying.

• Clarence, you've got the right idea. We all have challenges. Keep on keeping on and enjoy reaching for new goals.

• i live by the motto "two is one, one is none" always have a back up to your back up, google, caps, suits, etc.

• If you catch the sales at SwimOutlet, you can buy some pretty decent suits for under 10 bucks.
    Sporti and Swim Club make good suits, and at that price, stock up without feeling guilty.
    Buying more than one at a time saves on postage as well.
    Think of it as having lots of clothes in the closet: You certainly don't wear the same outfit every day, so why not mix it up in the pool as well.
    Jim from Ohio

• I like try different brands, designs and colors. Check the promotions here in Swimoutlet.com. Get more than one pair and enjoy the pool Dude. :)

• I generally have 2 pairs of briefs in my bag and switch out between the two as goes for the rest of the things in my bag, but it really depends on how much you are swimming as to how much stuff you need.

• I swim most days and have five briefs (can you call them a pair of briefs?) on rotation right now (think major league baseball pitcher roster). The fit and feel of my new arena and finals suits have retired two speedos from my current rotation of starters.

• I have 12 pairs right now of different brands and different colors. I have mainly Speedo and TYR brand briefs in black, red, blue, and red. The main reason I have that many is to alternate them each time I swim for longevity.

• Daniel C210 said:

I have 12 pairs right now of different brands and different colors. I have mainly Speedo and TYR brand briefs in black, red, blue, and red. The main reason I have that many is to alternate them each time I swim for longevity.

Cool Daniel, We are in the same page.

• Shoot, I guess in my initial reply I did not answer your question-- I simply described how many briefs I presently "have in my swim bag." Your question: "How many pairs of swim briefs should I have?" The question reminds me of the question how many bicycles should I have. The answer, however, is the same: "N+1"!!!!!! Enjoy.

• matthew a said:

Shoot, I guess in my initial reply I did not answer your question-- I simply described how many briefs I presently "have in my swim bag." Your question: "How many pairs of swim briefs should I have?" The question reminds me of the question how many bicycles should I have. The answer, however, is the same: "N+1"!!!!!! Enjoy. N = the number you presently have.

• My reply of six months ago echoed the comments of other rec swimmers... carry at least a couple of suits and some spare gear for rotation. I have now amended my suit bag slightly and now include a jammer along with my usual briefs. Not that the suit should matter, but early mornings the pool is almost all swimmers in briefs, whereas the lunch-bunch (and Saturday's) is a more conservative crowd (older and baggy swimwear), so jammers seems a better crowd fit so I don't pretend to look like Mark Spitz or stand out as "weird".

• I'm going to go against the flow and say three is a good baseline. I swim 5-7 days a week and find my suits hold up better if I'm rotating three. That said, as mentioned in other posts, your number will be based on how much you're willing to spend on gear and frequency of use. If you've got the money, I would recommend swimming with a three suit rotation if you're looking to really put in some yards.

• I swim 3 days a week for 10 -12,000 yards. I'm rotating through 3 briefs right now, a TYR, a Clubswim, and a Sporti Euro. The Clubswim and Sporti suits are very inexpensive so you don't have to spend much for several suits to rotate which is nice.