Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Supplements and swimming?

• Is anyone using supplements (ie: whey protein, pre-workout, bcaa's) to help supplement your workout?

• I did summer swim and this gatorade representitive did a presentation about this. The main point was there are these gatorade gummies or a fuel bar which are meant to be consumed and hour to 30 minutes before practice, a gatorade during practice, and a whey protein bar or protein shake after practice. Honestly, I just tried the whey protein bar after practice because I was hungry and I felt well for the rest of the day. However, what I do before practice is drink this nutritional meal shake from herbalife. I find it better than eating a bowl of cereal because I don't get really tired during practice.

• Great advice. I'll try to incorporate something similar into my regiment

• Hey!

I come from a big weight lifting and sports science background and I always recommend a very basic stable of proven supplements. Fish oil, whey protein, and creatine. As you've probably heard a million times, nutrition is key, but i do think that each of these supps has there place. I always feel better when I take fish oil. My joints feel better and it helps me recover (especially my shoulders after a long swim). Whey is awesome post workout on strength days to aid in recovery and to help supplement protein if your low on the day from the rest of your food (Optimum Nutrition and MyProtein make cheap, quality, and tasty flavors) and creatine is probably the most researched supplement out there. Helps recovery and muscle building and is always a staple. Hope this helped!