Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Counting laps

• During longer sets how do you all track where you are in your counts? My mind tends to wander (a lot) and I lose count after about five laps or so. Anyone else? What tips and tricks do you use to keep track of what you're doing?

• I too lose count after a few laps; thus, bought "Sportcount" lap counter which easily fits on my ring finger; pushing the button with my thumb after completing each lap.

• I tend to do the same thing a lot of times. Sometimes just going with the person next to me helps, but when that isn't an option I yell "Lap Number (#)" in my head cause it wakes me up after each lap.

• If your mind tends to wander, what I usually do is every time I do a flip turn I think of what lap I am on next. Even if my mind wanders I can usually find the lap I was on when I flip at the wall

• Lap counters are great because they fit perfectly in your finger and you don't even notice them.

• I am a distance swimmer so I know the feeling! I like to get a song stuck in my head but instead of the lyrics, I sing the lap I'm on!

• If your mind tends to wander, what I usually do is every time I do a flip turn I think of what lap I am on next. Even if my mind wanders I can usually find the lap I was on when I flip at the wall

I try to do this, but then I confuse myself - I think "4!!" And then forget if I'm starting lap 4 or just finished lap 4. It's kinda embarrassing sometimes. I think the wearable counter may be the way to go... Thank you all so much for the great input!

• Usually if I'm doing high numbers, instead of counting the laps, I count the turns. Still have to remember what turn you're on, but at least cuts the work in half.

• In the past I used the 'stack of pennies' method, but this requires an open turn at one end of the lane and interrupts the flow.

These days prefer counting sets. For example, in a 50m pool I might do 400IM as one set, or if doing only freestyle I use a breathing pattern set, such as, left breathe every stroke, right breathe every stroke, breathe both sides, breathe every second stroke, etc.

• I can always tell where I am based on the pace clock! I look at it every 100.

• I found the finger counter super annoying. Personally, I count by fifty meters. So if I'm doing a 500, I start at 10, when I flip turn at fifty meters, I repeat 9 in my head until I flip on the next fifty, and so on. Counting backwards tricks your mind into focusing on how much you have left, not how far you've gone.

• That's a great idea, Ben! I have to try it.

• I had a stroke of genius today to help me track numbers up to 40 - an old combo lock! Twist to the number lap or set you're on. It's waterproof and not so expensive that I'd be heartbroken if someone walked off with it! I'll also try to count down instead of up - that makes so much sense. Very motivating!

• I keep repeating the length number and which e NB d us off and which is even. I only count to ten and start over at one on the eleventh length.

• When I was first starting I got in the habit of saying the number out loud to myself during the turn or on my first breath after a lap. This kept me alert and my brain active and helped keep me on track. I've since bought a lap counter (highly recommend) yet still count the laps out loud most of the time.