Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Favorite Olympic Race?

• Hey guys, Olympian Mark Gangloff here. I wanted to start a new topic on this forum. What has been your favorite race so far? Mine has definitely been the women's 100 Breast. Watching Lily King win and stand up for what is right was an amazing thing to watch. What do you guys think?

• Interesting multi-faceted question! Certainly, that was an exciting race, as was Katy Ledecky, and Brian Peaty, and the men's relay, and others. In fact I seem to be excited by the race at hand when records are broken, or there is poignant human interaction and emotion.

The Olympics are competition. However, history shows that today's world record will be surpassed tomorrow. One wonders the limit of human performance. What is more important for me is the development of goodwill, sportsmanship, and commeraderie among people's of the earth.

Wherever there are humans, someone will think himself above the rules. In an event such as the olympics, ethics and honor should dictate that all participants willingly follow the rules, whatever they may be. Of course it is the province of the Olympic authorities to set, monitor, and enforce the rules. I would prefer to see individual athletes leave those matters to the authorities, rather than see them express their individual opinions, right or wrong, and instead focus on performance, goodwill, and positive interactions.

One of the current major issues is doping. There may be a fine line between what is supplemental nutrition, and what is certainly doping. I suspect that some athletes knowingly dope. I suspect that others may be handed something to injest during their training, and they have no idea what it contains. They become victims.

In the case of the Russian teams, the IOC has admitted them. Therefore, let's wish them their best success while we win every event fairly!

• Jim,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. The doping issue is a tough thing to address. Like you said, it is multifaceted. The only person that knows the intent of an athlete is the athlete themselves so as spectators we will never know. For me it is not fair to allow any athlete that has tested positive to compete against athletes that have done it 100% clean. Whether knowingly or unknowingly, if an athlete has taken banned substances it erodes the ability to create goodwill and sportsmanship between competitors that you spoke to.

In swimming and sports in general, you should be able to reach across the lane line and shake hands with a person from a different country and congratulate them on their effort. In that moment, the best person should win regardless of the country of origin and that can be the trans-formative aspect of the Olympic Games. That is why it is especially important that everyone competes virtuously because without that virtue, the ability to connect with another athlete from another country is nearly impossible.

The last thing I would like to speak to is the trust that the athletes and coaches put in governing bodies like the IOC. As an athlete you do trust that they will do what is right and when someone steps outside of the rules then they should be punished accordingly. That trust is inherent so long as everyone does their part. The athletes should compete with integrity and the governing body should govern those that do not want to follow the rules of the game. When trust is lost then someone should speak up and that is exactly what Lily did and I applaud her for that.

Thanks again for your reply and hopefully we can get some more opinions in the mix. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Mark

• Of course we are probably all a little biased towards Michael Phelps's race given his historic accomplishments over the years, but the 200m fly was actually a pretty amazing race in how it unfolded and how several lesser known swimmers started chasing him down late stages. It was actually other expected contenders like Le Clos and Cseh that were fading. The 200m fly is such a brutal race, you can't help but love watching it.

• Rob,

The great thing about saying my favorite race before the meet is over is that I can change my mind. :)

In 2004, Phelps wins the 100 fly by .04. In 2008, Phelps wins the 100 fly by .01. In 2009, Phelps wins the 100 fly by .13. In 2012, Phelps wins the 100 fly by .23. In 2016, Phelps wins the 200 fly by .04.

He knows how to get his hand on the wall. That may have taken over as my favorite to watch but I am torn on the significance between the two.

Go USA!!!
    Mark

• watcing katie ledeckey swim the 200 400 and relay so far has been amazing especially with her work record in the 400 free, cant wait for the 800.

• I love watching the 800 free because it is just so exciting to watch Katie Ledecky swim so fast and stay ahead of her own world record!

• All the relays! Those are so exciting!

• This post is deleted!

• Can't pick just one. Each event is terrific. I M in men's and women's are inspiring because it incorporates all four strokes.

• I like the men's and women's im

• Agree with Greg that IM is a great event to watch. Phelps won the 200m IM at four straight Olys. Who is the greatest female IMer of all time? Anyone have any suggestions.