Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Any Interest in a Lifeguard Category?

• Anyone else interested in a Lifeguard category? As an aquatics professional and pool manager I could purpose several topics of conversation concerning Lifeguards!

• I'm not s lifeguard but I think you have s hood idea. Would you like to start a topic? How about Y certification, Ellis ans red cross. Prosand cons of each. I'm 61 maybe headed to live I n Florida a d I'd like to get certified as Nd work pop t as a lifeguard. Any suggestions?

• There definitely should be a lifeguard category here. They sell lifeguard gear, which is what led me to their website to begin with, so we might as well have a place to discuss lifeguard gear, experiences, etc.

• Lifeguard category is a great idea! My daughter (14) has been a volunteer Jr. Lifeguard the past two summers. She has learned a lot, from working with the public, to assisting with swim lessons, team work and watching over the patrons safety.

• Would be useful. I'm a lifeguard and I know my employer or myself would use it.

• I'm not s lifeguard but I think you have s hood idea. Would you like to start a topic? How about Y certification, Ellis ans red cross. Prosand cons of each. I'm 61 maybe headed to live I n Florida a d I'd like to get certified as Nd work pop t as a lifeguard. Any suggestions?

--
    Fitness is a key, and often overlooked at pools, component of being a successful lifeguard. My first tidbit of advice would be to start swimming, if you're not already. A decent pool lifeguard should be able to swim a 500 in under 9 minutes. An ocean lifeguard, 800 in under 14 minutes with a 1.5 mile run in under 10 minutes.

• Glad to hear there's interest in the category! For now, I'd like to purpose the first topic of conversation:

Lifeguard Recruitment and Retention.
    What are you doing to recruit lifeguards and retain them after hire? Or, what has your employer done to recruit you and make the job enjoyable?

Thanks!

• Glad to hear there's interest in the category! For now, I'd like to purpose the first topic of conversation:

Lifeguard Recruitment and Retention.
    What are you doing to recruit lifeguards and retain them after hire? Or, what has your employer done to recruit you and make the job enjoyable?

Thanks!

Great question. If any kids want to obtain a job lifeguarding when they are of age, i highly recomend they check into their city summer programs for Jr. Lifeguard opportunities where they learn the basics of lifeguarding, clocking in and out, deck duties, cleaning, how to deal with the public, teamwork and my daughter also got to assist with swim lessons, dive lessons and synchro lessons.

By volunteering as a Jr. Guard the lifefuard staff have an opportunity to see your work ethics and how well you follow instructions and rules as well as how well you interact with the public.

My daughter impressed the staff so much that they said they would hire her next year as a lifeguard . She had also helped with synchro and she was told that she would be trained to be the Syncro assistant.

Her friend had applied last summer but didn't get the job even with a recomendation bc he had not done the Jr. Lifeguarde. He was told there were over 100 applicants but they were only hiring 10.
    So in order to better your odds, do Jr Guard and be prepared to work really hard.

• BETH L,

Thank you for the insight and great point about the Junior Lifeguard programs! Can I ask what town you're hailing from that you have a sizable interest in becoming a lifeguard?

Our situation is unique in that the area we pull from is wealthy. Unfortunately, most of our teens come from families that provide well enough for them that they don't have to seek employment during their high school years. The challenge is making the position of Lifeguard attractive enough to bring new faces in and keep them in when they realize it's more than sitting around watching people swim.

• BETH L,

Thank you for the insight and great point about the Junior Lifeguard programs! Can I ask what town you're hailing from that you have a sizable interest in becoming a lifeguard?

Our situation is unique in that the area we pull from is wealthy. Unfortunately, most of our teens come from families that provide well enough for them that they don't have to seek employment during their high school years. The challenge is making the position of Lifeguard attractive enough to bring new faces in and keep them in when they realize it's more than sitting around watching people swim.

Hi Randy,

I'm from Mesa AZ. With out the pools i don't think we'd survive the summers. LOL

My daughter's school has a program called Service Learning. This program encourages students to volunteer and at the end of the year they complete 1 of 5 projects such as an essay about what they learned and how they benefited from the volunteering or a speech along those same lines.
    Service Learning participants will graduate with special honors as well as be eligible for a Service Learning scholarship.
    Lifeguarding is an acceptable form of volunteering so my daughter has been able to do her project on it.

• We have created a Lifeguard category: https://community.swimoutlet.com/category/22/lifeguard

Enjoy!