Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Open Water Swimming

• Hi Everyone, I love swimming, but at this moment only at the pool and want to start a new challenge in open water, but still I feel a lot of anxiety thinking in the big ocean, winds, waves. any advice?

• Since you are already swimming in a pool, learn and practice "sighting" so you'll be able to feel confident in your ability to see where you're going when in open water.

Then, start small. Find a calm lake where swimming is allowed, and preferably a lifeguard is on duty. Never swim alone! Get used to swimming without walls, and practice sighting so you can know where you're going.

There is a lot of good information it hat many posters have posted n another thread on this forum, under the "Open Water Swimming" category. You can find it here: https://community.swimoutlet.com/topic/188/newbie-to-open-water

• A swim buddy is essential as well as a swim float that makes you visible on the surface. Both are required, without fail, for a safe open water swim!!! (Unless you have found an area where only swimmers are allowed, a swim float may not be necessary)

Wherever you go, be sure to get a local site briefing so you are aware of any hazards, boat or watercraft traffic, swim zones and boat zones, currents, visibility, temperature, tides, rip tides, marine life, etc... and don't forget to lift your head occasionally, keeping an eye on your land reference and making sure you are staying on track....

I was a judge for the Oceanman open water swimming event here in Cozumel last weekend. What a great event ~ for the experts and newbies!!! Maybe you can check them out for more tips and suggestions, or even make attending an Oceanman event next season your goal!? Swim Your Dreams! www.oceanman-openwater.com

To feel right at home, the visibility here in Cozumel is like a swimming pool - only better because you have beautiful and harmless marine life along the way! :) www.swimfreedivecozumel.com

• invest in a good wetsuit like roka or xterra!

• I found these links here about open water swimming. I hope these will be helpful to you. :) :)

http://www.active.com/swimming/articles/open-water-swimming-tips-and-training

http://swimming.about.com/od/openwaterswims/a/ow_swim_begin_2.htm

• Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it. Greetings from Los Angeles.

• I love open water swimming and use a home made swim float for safety and visibility. They are so easy and cheap to make I give them away to all my swim partners, they all love them! Use a thick type swim noodle cut in half. Thread a thin nylon rope (1/4') through tube and tie it securely to 2 snap cable ties placed near the far end. Extend the rope approx. 4 feet past the other end, and tie free end securely to a short length of bungee cord looped to go around your ankle. For extra visibility I cover snap ties and a few other places on the noodle with bright colored Duct Tape. The swim noodle trails behind you and does not interfer with swim stroke or kicking. You can sit on the noodle, rest with it under armpits or use it ti aid another swimmer. This costs less than $5 to make.

• I love open water swimming and use a home made swim float for safety and visibility. They are so easy and cheap to make I give them away to all my swim partners, they all love them! Use a thick type swim noodle cut in half. Thread a thin nylon rope (1/4') through tube and tie it securely to 2 snap cable ties placed near the far end. Extend the rope approx. 4 feet past the other end, and tie free end securely to a short length of bungee cord looped to go around your ankle. For extra visibility I cover snap ties and a few other places on the noodle with bright colored Duct Tape. The swim noodle trails behind you and does not interfer with swim stroke or kicking. You can sit on the noodle, rest with it under armpits or use it ti aid another swimmer. This costs less than $5 to make.

Thanks for the advice, very useful.