Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Crosstraining

• Hey
    just wondering what ideas you all would have about cross training and different ways to go about it. looking for ideas for a very 13 year old swimmer who swims year around 6 days a week competitively, but is a little to young to start doing weights,or maybe is but does not know how to start.
    Appreciate all thoughts.

• In terms of cross training, I would pull back on his swimming during non-competitive seasons and have him try other sports. If he's at home in the water, maybe try other aquatics sports (e.g. water polo, diving, underwater hockey, etc.). Additionally, team sports would be extremely valuable to his development as an athlete. If he does want to pursue a weight training program, balance between swimming and strength training will be key to avoiding injuries and eventual burnout.

• Randy has some good advice. I think anything that gets your child moving and working a different set of muscles is a good thing. Weight lifting classes geared towards teens would be really good too.

My daughter does Martial Arts , soccer and she has done volleyball but this does not fit into our schedule now. Occasionally she does 5k's and yoga classes as well.

I think as long as they are enjoying their activity they will benefit from it.

• Thanks for the thoughts, i was more looking for something he could do with swimming that will improve his strength is swimming, because he really does not have a non competitive season. I have heard from some people that running and resistance cords work pretty well? He does do some biking occasionally and non machine workouts such as pull-ups sit-ups and pushups. Is there really a right age to start lifting just don't want to get into anything that could possibly injure him. Is there a good website that tells how to start lifting at the right pace for a swimmer thats not to much?
    thanks again.

• Sounds like he's on the right track, supplementing swimming workouts with dryland exercises. As far as weight/strength training go, there is no minimum age; however, at 13 I would strongly encourage he work with a coach or instructor to learn proper form before adding weights consistently. It's not so much the frequency that will cause injury, but the knowledge of form when he gets tired. Honestly, I'm a little surprised that the program he is in now (at 6 days/week) has not incorporated more than water work outs into the program. Is it a USA Swimming program? Do they add weight room/dryland workouts in at the older age groups?

• Randy
    it is a usa swimming program, but they do not incorporate dryland and weight exercises into it like most of the other teams around this area, even in the older age groups.
    Thanks for the help.

• Absolutely second Randy's advice to use a coach for any weight training. I see poor and damaging form and use of uncontrollable amounts of weight in the weight room all the time among all ages. Teens typically think they know how to do something, when in fact they don't.

I may yet be a bit old school despite current research. Injury is to be avoided, particularly damage to growth plates. Weight training can be done at younger ages with professional supervision and guidance.

• I would recommend doing exercises with resistance bands. One really important thing is strengthening the rotator cuff, and you don't need (or want) a lot of weight for that.

• Yoga is a great form of cross-training for swimmer! It increases your core strength, which ultimately improves your stroke and speed!

Here's a great video via SwimSwam: https://swimswam.com/yoga-for-swimmers-increase-your-core-strength-20-minute-workout/

• Thanks for the suggestion have already tried the video and followed along and it really does help strengthan your core.
    Thanks again and thanks to everyone else for the suggestions will try the resistance bands and the others suggestions. thanks