Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Suit drying machines?

• I saw on another thread that someone said not to use the suit drying machines.
    Why?
    Seems like just using centrifugal force to get some water out... I'm curious why people say not to use them.

• I have heard the same thing and I don't understand it. You are right it just spins the water out. I have been told it stretches the fabric? I have only used polyester suits in the machines and I have not seen any more than the usual wear/stretching out of the material. This has been over a period of several years.

• I love the suit spinners. Have had no problem with them, but do wear poly suits.

• In my 18+ years of competitive swimming, I have never experienced any issues with the suit dryers.

They were always my favorite part of away meets, because my pool did not have one!

• I have just heard not to put tech suits in them i have never heard that you can't put practice suits in them, but would love to hear someones explanation of why not to put them in there.

• In my experience, tech suits dry really quickly anyway.

• I've used them for a while now, and I haven't noticed too much of a difference on the wear-down of my suit. It's important to rinse your suit beforehand, so most of the chemicals wash away. If you simply throw it in the machine after taking it off, yes, it will get most of the water out, but the chemicals are still laying around. Those chemicals can really take a toll on the wear-and-tear.

• I don't use them because they seem unsanitary... moist garments from multiple people spinning around without soap and detergent. Yuck.

• good point about sanitation (or lack thereof).

• Sounds like a test project for a microbiology student. I doubt they are any less sanitary than the pool itself, or the locker room.

• Sounds like a test project for a microbiology student. I doubt they are any less sanitary than the pool itself, or the locker room.

I agree that it sounds like a good research project. I wear shoes in the locker room, and the pool chemistry is monitored regularly. I've never seen anyone clean a suit dryer.

• I grew up w the rule of thumb that you hand-wash your suits and don't put it in the washer - because it wears out the suit faster. The suit-dryers use the same centrifugal force as a washing machine only on a smaller scale. In the end, it really depends on the material of your suit. In general, polyester suits last longer than lycra. Putting your swimsuit in the dryer can compensate the integrity of the fabric as it extracts the moisture - kind of like extensively wringing it out; some suit-dryers also have the additional element of heat which can also contribute to quicker fabric degradation.

Beside for gentle fabric-care, hygiene also comes into play! :)

At any rate, my favorite solution is a small wet-bag to throw your suit in until you can hang it up to air dry. If it will be awhile until you're back home, keep a hanger in the car, and hang it from the handle above the door (we call it the "Oh Shit" bar LoL!) or from the rearview mirror or headrest if necessary...?

A Ziploc bag can work, my preferred wet/dry bag I find here in Cozumel at the Ron Jon Surf Shop. I also just purchased a new Speedo Teamster Backpack on swimoutlet.com that includes a "dirt bag" with super functional clips to keep the wet and dry things separate!

• I myself have never used the suit drying machines. I always rinse my suits in cold water & then hang them up to dry. I prefer to do this, as I don't want to risk the possibility of getting my suits ruined in the machines, plus, I'm not sure how sanitary the machines really are?

• Maybe just keep em in a net bag until they dry?

• Suzanne M181 said:

I don't use them because they seem unsanitary... moist garments from multiple people spinning around without soap and detergent. Yuck.

The gym I go to has a lot of exercise options (including wet/dry saunas) and I've seen people use the spinner for removing sweat laden clothes, so I won't touch it. I shower in my suit which does a fairly nice job of rinsing it and I try to lean over a bit to get the bulk of the shampoo and condition to run directly onto the shower floor instead of into the suit to keep those chemicals off.

• Germs!! Suit Drying Machines store more germs then your dryer at home and at home they are you germs not some random persons.

• They have 2 drying machines at the WAC. 1 for Girls and 1 for Boys