Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Lifeguarding footwear

• So, I'm curious, what kinds and brands of footwear do you like to wear while lifeguarding?

I've always stuck with flipflops because I feel like the ability to quickly put on and take off my footwear is incredibly important while lifeguarding. I have known guards who wear sandal style flops, water shoes, crocs, or even the five finger type shoes. I would be afraid to wear some sort of water shoe while lifeguarding for fear it would slow my swim speed, but some guards seem to like the traction they provide.

In the past, I mostly stuck to cheap drugstore flops, but I recently decided to try some slightly more expensive flops and ordered flops from Havianas, Teva, and Crocs. I am really loving my Croc flipflops the most as they are very comfortable and provide good traction against a wet pool deck.

So, lifeguards, what's on your feet?

• Andrew E said:

So, I'm curious, what kinds and brands of footwear do you like to wear while lifeguarding?

I've always stuck with flipflops because I feel like the ability to quickly put on and take off my footwear is incredibly important while lifeguarding. I have known guards who wear sandal style flops, water shoes, crocs, or even the five finger type shoes. I would be afraid to wear some sort of water shoe while lifeguarding for fear it would slow my swim speed, but some guards seem to like the traction they provide.

In the past, I mostly stuck to cheap drugstore flops, but I recently decided to try some slightly more expensive flops and ordered flops from Havianas, Teva, and Crocs. I am really loving my Croc flipflops the most as they are very comfortable and provide good traction against a wet pool deck.

So, lifeguards, what's on your feet?

I usually purchase a pair of Reef's Crew Flip Flop each summer. They're a solid flip flop that last about a year of beach trips, lifeguard assignments, pump room spills, paddle board trips, and various other activities in/out of the water. They've been my go-to for going on 13 years.