Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Michael Andrew Q&A

• Introducing the new Athlete Question & Answer section!

In an effort to make our Talk Swim! community forum more inspirational and fun, we're connecting you with elite athletes.

Here you can chat with professional athletes and they will answer YOUR questions. Post to the thread and ask them their favorite drills, their go-to post-workout snacks, advice on the sport, ask what keeps them motivated or just say hi!

Our first athlete jumping on the Q&A is World Junior Champion, Michael Andrew. Join the discussion and ask away, he'll be responding to questions all week!

alt text

• Congratulations on making the 2017 national team.

• When you are taking a break from swimming, what interests you to "recharge" and get your mind off the swimming grind?

• How many hours a week do you usually practice?

• Where do you get the money to pay for practice, suits, travel, etc.?

• With USRPT do you ever train distance for endurance and strength and do you believe USRPT is the best training method for enhancing technique in all strokes?

• Michael - what was the highlight of Omaha Trials for you? Must have been a cool experience...

• Hey Michael, could you tell me something about your technic about 50,100 breaststroke and butterfly

• greg b said:

Congratulations on making the 2017 national team.

Thank You so much!

• Bryan S said:

When you are taking a break from swimming, what interests you to "recharge" and get your mind off the swimming grind?

I really enjoy being active, so for me a break from swimming would look like wakeboarding, kayaking, and other fun outdoor activities.

I also love creating video edits with footage captured via my drone and GoPro!

• Cara G said:

How many hours a week do you usually practice?

My current training plan has me training two hours each session.

Monday- 2 sessions
    Tuesday- 2 sessions
    Wednesday- 1 session
    Thursday- 2 sessions
    Friday- 1 session
    Saturday- 1 session
    Sunday- Rest Day

So in a week I train 18 hours on average but a lot of that in training time is rest.

• Roger Y said:

Where do you get the money to pay for practice, suits, travel, etc.?

I am blessed with my current sponsors and all that they provide and for travelling what isn't covered by sponsors is supplemented via my parents!

• sebastian l said:

With USRPT do you ever train distance for endurance and strength and do you believe USRPT is the best training method for enhancing technique in all strokes?

Whenever we train we have a specific goal in mind so if I am training for a distance event in particular we will make our repeats a more endurance based repeat (longer) that way our body creates the correct neural patterns to the race we are preparing.

I 100% believe that USRPT is the best method of training for enhancing technique in all strokes, because it is so repetitive the new habits and movements are going to be put in your subconscious sooner than any other program would allow your body to adapt.

• Rob P said:

Michael - what was the highlight of Omaha Trials for you? Must have been a cool experience...

It was an incredible experience!

I could choose a ton of things as my highlights so it's a difficult question to answer...

The highlight of The Olympic Trials was probably the atmosphere! I had never raced with such an incredible crowd and electrifying aura!

• How do you relax before a big event? How do you calm your nerves?

• Jonathan Y said:

Hey Michael, could you tell me something about your technic about 50,100 breaststroke and butterfly

Definitely!

like all of my strokes Its very important for me to create as little resistance as possible and as much propulsion to push my body forward.

Butterfly and Breastroke are very similar strokes with timing being of huge importance, they are also the two short access strokes of the four.

In Breastroke for my 50 and 100 a big key for me is to make sure my arms are in full streamline in the recovery phase of the stroke before my kick come with the power, breastroke is the only stroke where the kick is the driving force.

Butterfly I try stay as low as possible to the water and breath every stroke. the reason I breath eery stroke is because I get into such a strong rhythm and make sure i drive my head down at the end of each stroke which creates extra momentum pushing my body faster down the pool!

• Ashley G said:

How do you relax before a big event? How do you calm your nerves?

It's so important to be relaxed before competition and what I usually do to get relaxed is listen to music and take moments where I lay down in complete silence and try clear my mind of everything.

What helps me calm my nerves is knowing that how good or how bad I do I am not defined by the results of a swim. you also have to find a fine line between being nervous and not caring because often its good to have nerves because those nerves are what get you blood flowing and fire you up! At your next meet I encourage you to find a quiet place and focus in and race free of fear, enjoy!

• Congrats Michael on making the team! My question, if you were in Katie L's place (a great place to be), would you go pro or stay amateur and why?

• Elaine J said:

Congrats Michael on making the team! My question, if you were in Katie L's place (a great place to be), would you go pro or stay amateur and why?

Thank you!

Wow, thats definitely a great place to be haha... If i was the most successful distance swimmer to ever walk the planet and nobody can touch me in the pool (like Katie) I would hands down become a professional athlete over staying amateur and going to swim NCAA...

One reason is the coach she is with currently has been so amazing for her, why change what isn't broken. Although she'll be amazing anywhere. Also because of her accolades already at such a young age she could have some pretty awesome endorsements.

I love Katie and whatever decision she makes I'm so happy for her and shell be doing the right thing!

Thanks for the question.

• Hello there! Michael, I'd like to know somethings.... What do you do after a bad set or a bad race ( that you trained a lot for) ? And when you think you can't keep swimming because you are too tired?

• Hi Michael. In the forums there ha been some post that get more attention then other. Fav brand/model suit/ do you wear only one brand, best way to keep googles from fogging