Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Sharing lanes while lap swimming

• Hi everyone. :) :) As lap swimmers know, many times we share lanes with other swimmers. My question is, how many people do you find you can share with without having problems while getting the most out of your workout?

At the Y I swim at, if there are 2 people in a lane, you swim side by side. If there are more than 2 swimmers in a lane, you "circle swim". Also, you try to share lanes with people of the same swimming ability, if possible.

I of course have shared with one other person in the lane, no problem. I have shared with 2 other people before, and I can do that, too. In fact, I find with the extra person in the lane, it's hard to explain, but, I find I move faster so I make sure not to hold up the other swimmers. Plus, it gives me an even stronger workout.

One time, it was on New Year's Day, it was VERY busy at the pool, and at one point, there were FOUR people in the lane I was in (including myself). It was hard, but I managed to get my swim in like I always do.

So, all in all, I of course enjoy swimming in a lane by myself, and I never mind sharing a lane or with one or 2 other people. But, any # of people more than that, and it gets kinda tricky.

• Hi Jezebel,

In my experience, I would say 4-5 people should be the max amount of swimmers to a lane. If you add more then that, it just becomes an obstacle course trying to pass one another.

My ideal swimming situation would be splitting the lane with one other swimmer! :-)

Happy swimming!!

• Jordan T said:

Hi Jezebel,

In my experience, I would say 4-5 people should be the max amount of swimmers to a lane. If you add more then that, it just becomes an obstacle course trying to pass one another.

My ideal swimming situation would be splitting the lane with one other swimmer! :-)

Happy swimming!!

I remember one time recently, a person had come in and asked if she could share the lane with me. I told her "Sure, no problem". So, we were sharing, when these 2 boys, I'd say they were in their pre-teens, they had come over to one end of the lane. I was swimming back from the other end, & I saw them asking the other person if they could come in the lane, too. I figured the boys would wait to ask if it was alright with me, too. Nope--they just jumped right in and well, it made it VERY hard to swim--they just swam as if only they were the ones in the lane. One of the lifeguards who I know saw what happened, and she saw me, I was kinda nervous. She said to me, "I don't know why they did that", and she then asked a person who was swimming alone in the next lane over if it'd be alright for me to come in the lane w/her. She said "Sure", and so I shared with that other person. I thanked the lifeguard, and explained that I can't swim that great when people are swimming as these boys were. She told me she figured that. I was just so grateful she helped me that way. Also, I did see her talk to the 2 boys after she made sure I was taken care of. I don't know what she told them, but, I was glad she spoke to them.