Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Lauren Perdue Q&A!

• Introducing the new Athlete Question & Answer section!

In an effort to make our Talk Swim! community forum more inspirational and fun, we're connecting you with elite athletes.

Here you can chat with professional athletes and they will answer YOUR questions. Post to the thread and ask them their favorite drills, their go-to post-workout snacks, advice on the sport, ask what keeps them motivated or just say hi!

This week's athlete jumping on the Q&A is 2012 Gold Medalist, Lauren Perdue. Join the discussion and ask away, she'll be responding to questions all week!

0_1474847598592_tyr4.jpg

• Hi Lauren -- how did you make your decision to retire between Olympics? Was that a tough decision?

Robbie P.

• Hi, Lauren, what are some good swim sets to get faster, I've been doing speed work but seem to have hit a stalemate? Thanks!

• Hello Lauren,
    What would be your best advice for swimmers who are just getting started and loving the sport?

• Hi Lauren what is your pre and post workout food/snack choices? And what do you pack for meet days? I'm always on the look out for food ideas for my swimmer.

• Hi Lauren:

Can you tell me about your hydration plan during training sessions? How much and what type, electrolytes? Water? Thanks!

• Lauren, what is your favourite workout or set?
    Mine is either 20 x 100 or 100s all out.

• Hi Lauren!

How long do your workout usually last? Do you have any tips for fast recovery after a long workout?

• Hi Lauren,

What is your favorite workout set to complete?

• How should I plan my weight lifting sessions so I can swim 4 to 5 times a week and lift weights 3 times a week? If I am doing both on the same day, should I swim first?

• Hi Lauren - I swim in Greenville with Coach Casey. What is one of your favorite pre-meet snacks?

• Hi Lauren! How do you mentally prepare for a big meet?

• Hi Lauren,

Who inspired you to get to where you are now?

• Hey Lauren Perdue it's me Nick ehrhart! I got a question for you if you weren't a swimmer what would your dream job be? And can you make incredible comebacks in the 2020 Olympics

• Hi Lauren! Just wondering how you got started swimming and when you transitioned to swimming competitively. Thanks!

• Hi Lauren,

This passed Olympics in swimming we saw a lot of young talent, faster times, and a major swing in popularity. With Michael Phelps retiring, Ryan Lochte out for awhile who do you think the next new faces could be, might be ,or will be in swimming?

• Robert P said:

Hi Lauren -- how did you make your decision to retire between Olympics? Was that a tough decision?

Robbie P.

Hi Robbie! Thanks for your question. I unfortunately had to retire from competive swimming due to recurring injuries in my back and elbow. It was a very tough decision, but the best in the long run for my overall health and wellbeing.

• This post is deleted!

• Hi Gina, thanks for your question. I like this set a lot (see attached). I was a mid-distance swimmer so this worked on my speed as well as my endurance. Have fun!
    0_1474988770062_image.jpeg

GINA R said:

Hi, Lauren, what are some good swim sets to get faster, I've been doing speed work but seem to have hit a stalemate? Thanks!

• If you're loving it, keep doing what you're doing! As a competive swimmer for more than 15 years, it was sometimes difficult to continue to find joy in the sport. What helped me keep my love for the sport was to always set goals for myself- big and small. That way I always had something to work towards and to look forward to. Thanks for your question, Jen!

Jen W said:

Hello Lauren,
    What would be your best advice for swimmers who are just getting started and loving the sport?

• Lacey K said:

Hi Lauren what is your pre and post workout food/snack choices? And what do you pack for meet days? I'm always on the look out for food ideas for my swimmer.

Hi Lacey - for pre workout in the AM, i usually choose a banana and small bowl of whole grain oatmeal or two pieces of whole grain toast spread with peanut butter or almond butter. For pre workout in the PM, i usually make a protein smoothie with some fruit and spinach (i usually use the vegan/plant based protein from Vitamin Shoppe because i have a sensitive stomach). Post workout AM/PM, i make sure i get that nutrient replenishment immediately after a workout by drinking chocolate milk (you can buy little individual chocolate milks from the grocery store - Horizon brand is my favorite and don't have to be refrigerated). Chocolate milk is one of the best recovery drinks. For swim meets, i usually pack a couple protein bars and a banana - i love the Quest protein bars - they are high in protein but low in fat and sugar. Hope that helps!