Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

general swim related topics

• In general if a guy can swim 30 to 35 laps with a snorkel and cannot go more that 2 to 3 laps without one could it be lung capacity problems or breathing techniques?

Cancer survivor with lung issues and gets tired easy.
    Never a very good swimmer but did pass the red cross lifeguard test 2 years ago before illness. Now 73 yrs old.

I am thinking more and more could this be a mental issue. That is mind over body telling me I can't do it. I need 6 continuous laps to re-take LG test. All other requirements I can do including swimming the brick . Thanks AFE Sr.

• Hi Alex,

That is so inspiring that you continue to swim even after your illness— keep up the good work!

Here is an easy drill that can help improve your breathing: swim one lap breathing every 3 strokes, one lap breathing every five strokes, one lap breathing every 3 strokes, and the last lap breathing every seven stokes. This should help build your lung capacity, but of course listen to your body and don't push yourself too hard.

• Thanks for your feedback.

• alex e said:

In general if a guy can swim 30 to 35 laps with a snorkel and cannot go more that 2 to 3 laps without one could it be lung capacity problems or breathing techniques?

Cancer survivor with lung issues and gets tired easy.
    Never a very good swimmer but did pass the red cross lifeguard test 2 years ago before illness. Now 73 yrs old.

I am thinking more and more could this be a mental issue. That is mind over body telling me I can't do it. I need 6 continuous laps to re-take LG test. All other requirements I can do including swimming the brick . Thanks AFE Sr.

Swimming with a snorkel removes the problem of the timing to allow complete inhale and exhalations. Your being out of breath without using the snorkel is due to incomplete breath exchange.Focus on complete exhalation while face is in water and breathe in completly during the time when 1/2 face is rotated out of the water. This allows for a full air exchange. Many out of breath swimmers rush their exhale and then inhale when mouth is clear of the water. Being out of breath is the brain lighting up the dashboard light "Check Engine" - you have a gas mix problem.

• Thank you LL for your intelligent observation. I think you hit the nail on the head. I am going to try to slow down (even further) to try and get more air.

I am going under water (safely) to try and expand my lung capacity.

Thanks again Pls. keep in touch. My e-mail alex721@sbcglobal.net.

• Make sure you breathe out fully when face is in water. Difficult to get full breath exchange when mouth is above water during recovery stroke if you are trying to inhale and exhale in such a short interval.

• I'm not a cancer survivor and I had those issues when I started swimming about 24 years ago. (I am 54, now). What everyone else has said is correct, but I want to add that I think it is tremendous that you are swimming now. I used to swim with a man who was in his 80s and he took an hour to do what it took me 10 minutes to do, and he loved it. No one ever judged him by his time -versus- distance, only by his commitment and his fortitude. If you eventually find that you cannot have a meaningful workout without the snorkel then go for it. You wouldn't be alone in doing so and I think it is great that you found a way to stay in the pool.

• Thank you, Keven B.
    I am happy to swim at my pace, it's just a silly goal to re-certify as a lifeguard like I was two years ago. I have gone the 6 laps twice so far and I feel less pressure. I know that I have a fair chance now and I am grateful for all of the online help.

• That's not a silly goal at all. The reason I picked up swimming 24 years ago was because I wanted to certify as a lifeguard as well. Eventually I became a lifeguard instructor. (I've since let that go.) I once had a student who had an arm that ended at their elbow. That person was able to perform, in inspiring fashion, every rescue and test I put to him. I was thrilled to certify him. I'm sure you will be able to re-certify!

• Thanks, I needed that. It's no longer a task, it's just for fun.

Heading out to the pool/gym now. Regards Hope you have a good day. Alex