Women's
Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Girls just starting out....Swim buckets or bags??

• Hi all!

We're new to competitive swim and quite a few kids in their club seem to use buckets they've decorated to lug around their gear. To me it seems cumbersome, but i'm sure there's a method to the madness right? Can someone enlighten me?

• Jen W said:

Hi all!

We're new to competitive swim and quite a few kids in their club seem to use buckets they've decorated to lug around their gear. To me it seems cumbersome, but i'm sure there's a method to the madness right? Can someone enlighten me?

Buckets are the best! My dad drilled holes in the bottom of ours so during swim practice everything would drain out. While we were showering and getting ready to come home there would hardly be any water in out buckets which kept everything from molding :) I say stick with buckets because bags take forever to dry.

• Julie H said:

Jen W said:

Hi all!

Buckets are the best! My dad drilled holes in the bottom of ours so during swim practice everything would drain out. While we were showering and getting ready to come home there would hardly be any water in out buckets which kept everything from molding :) I say stick with buckets because bags take forever to dry.

That makes a TON of sense. I never thought about drilling holes in the bottom to allow for drainage. My girls were just so excited to decorate them they weren't even willing to entertain the idea of swim bags. Thanks so much!!

• This post is deleted!

• Julie H said:

You're welcome! Yeah decorating is probably the best part about having buckets. Those holes will help :)

• Jen W said:

Hi all!

I think bags are the best way to go. Depending on what size you get (I have the teamster 35L bag), it can fit a lot of things. You can also decorate your bag with sharpies, iron on patches, and embroidery.

• IOANA M said:

Jen W said:

Hi all!

I think bags are the best way to go. Depending on what size you get (I have the teamster 35L bag), it can fit a lot of things. You can also decorate your bag with sharpies, iron on patches, and embroidery.

Hi Jen!

Buckets are seriously the best because if you drill holes in the bottom of the buckets they won't hold any water so you won't ever have much water in your truck. With bags they just hold the water and don't ever really dry. All of their equipment can also dry in the bucket without any mildew going in there too! They may seem kind of big but they can put everything in there! Water bottles, goggles, swim caps, fins, paddles, even your kickboard too! buckets are the way to go :)

• I have seen some people using buckets around their waist during training.

• I bring a backpack everytime I swim. I bring a bag to put my Tankini, and I bring goggles. Sometimes I bring a hair tie and swim cap. I wear my swim cap at some gyms.