Women's
Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Do I need to wash my towel after every swim in the pool?

• I'm beginning to swim more often than I do laundry. I swim 4-5 days a week and I do not have a laundry machine at home. I've tried hand washing my towels but God are they heavy after being soaked in a basin of cool water. I can't imagine doing this everyday. What can I do? Do I need to wash it after every swim? Will chlorine deteriote my towel if I wait till the end of the week to wash them? What if I don't wash it, hang dry it, and reuse it the next day? Would that damage the towel badly?

• I have been swimming for about 7 years. I am 12 years old and when i was younger I would use the same towel all week and not wash it until Friday to wash it. They can get moldy and will start smelling. If you don't have a washer I suggest that you switch towel every day and then hang it up.

• Alena R said:

I have been swimming for about 7 years. I am 12 years old and when i was younger I would use the same towel all week and not wash it until Friday to wash it. They can get moldy and will start smelling. If you don't have a washer I suggest that you switch towel every day and then hang it up.

You are 12. Did you read the forum's policy? Go read it. This service is not for anyone under the age of 13.

• Hello Michelle, its very necessary to keep a clean habitat. Washing your towel and your clothes daily after swimming is very necessary in order to maintain a proper hygiene.

• Michelle,

I run an aquatics facility and am constantly in the water between swims, training, and moving equipment. Currently, I keep two towels in my office that I rotate during the week. Every weekend, I wash both and rotate them out between the 5 that I have total. Keeping this rotation, I haven't noticed any wear and tear or deterioration due to the water.

I find the most important part of this how you treat your towels after use. Mine are always allowed to dry and hung or folded after they're completely dry. If you're leaving your towel wet, stuffed in a bag, and never allowed to breathe, you're inviting deterioration and bacteria growth.

If you're allowing towels to dry fully, washing them once a week, and rotating them among a couple others, they should last you for quite a while.