Women's
Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Am I the only male left who wears briefs/racers?

• I have been swimming for over 12 years now and I still try to keep a regular lap swim exercise schedule. I was on a Masters team at my old University's pool for a brief period before I had to move, so now I"m just on my own.

Now what has gotten me amazed in those 12 short years is that I feel like I'm the only one left who still wears the briefs/racer style suit when I swim. All the other males I see at the pool are in jammers or very long square leg style for lap swimming.

For what it's worth, I"m 35 6'2" and 178 pounds and I am active US Army so I keep myself in good shape. But I just feel like I'm the odd duck at every pool these days.

Any thoughts?

• You are not the only one wearing briefs. I am 29 and I wear briefs when I lap swim. I do switch back and forth from Jammers to Briefs. Jammers for days that I have master swim and briefs when I am swimming by myself. I just recently started swimming with briefs and haven't gotten 100% comfortable with wearing them in a group but I will get there eventually.

• Briefs are still out there. We have a good mix of everything at my pool. Mostly those that come from a swimming/triathlete background are sporting the briefs. Our more adventurous lap swimmers are sticking to the square suit or jammers and the in-experienced folks round out the group in their trunks. If you were to come out on Wednesday night, you'd be in good company in your briefs.

• Rodney L said:

You are not the only one wearing briefs. I am 29 and I wear briefs when I lap swim. I do switch back and forth from Jammers to Briefs. Jammers for days that I have master swim and briefs when I am swimming by myself. I just recently started swimming with briefs and haven't gotten 100% comfortable with wearing them in a group but I will get there eventually.

Yes I felt the same way at first when I started swimming on my own and also on the first Masters group. But I quickly came to enjoy the feeling in the water and how it helped me swim. No one really gives dirty looks or points and laughs. That's all in the movies. But yea you'll get comfortable enough with them soon.

• Randy C said:

Briefs are still out there. We have a good mix of everything at my pool. Mostly those that come from a swimming/triathlete background are sporting the briefs. Our more adventurous lap swimmers are sticking to the square suit or jammers and the in-experienced folks round out the group in their trunks. If you were to come out on Wednesday night, you'd be in good company in your briefs.

Well I'd love to join a Masters group again but unfortunately I am stationed in Korea until next summer. Where is your group?

• I'm a pretty beginner swimmer. I wear swim briefs, well because I wear brIef underwear. At the pool, no one cares. We're all there for the same reason, to swim. I have 5 pairs. But I was wondering about jammers. Should I try picking up 1 pair?

• Nick C said:

I'm a pretty beginner swimmer. I wear swim briefs, well because I wear brIef underwear. At the pool, no one cares. We're all there for the same reason, to swim. I have 5 pairs. But I was wondering about jammers. Should I try picking up 1 pair?

I tried jammers a few times when I first started swimming. They felt similar overall to a brief, but my main issues with them were that I didn't feel like my legs had as much freedom of movement, and they were also annoying to take off when they were wet and I was finished swimming. Minor gripes I suppose, but the movement freedom is why I stuck with the brief style. That's my take on it.

• All good valid responses on this topic. I wear briefs for the comfort and "freedom" of movement (5'-10, 180). Our Y-pool is about half jammers and half briefs despite age so everyone chooses their own comfort level. As mentioned a few times in the thread... no body else cares, points, laughs, or questions what the other swimmers are wearing, whether in the pool, resting, or in the locker room. Jammers for me are uncomfortable and feel either too restrictive and/or too loose and sloppy, can't seem to find the perfect fit. My observation: jammers appear to "expose" more than briefs... go figure. Briefs just work. My faves are the Speedo Solar.

• Daniel C210 said:

I have been swimming for over 12 years now and I still try to keep a regular lap swim exercise schedule. I was on a Masters team at my old University's pool for a brief period before I had to move, so now I"m just on my own.

Now what has gotten me amazed in those 12 short years is that I feel like I'm the only one left who still wears the briefs/racer style suit when I swim. All the other males I see at the pool are in jammers or very long square leg style for lap swimming.

For what it's worth, I"m 35 6'2" and 178 pounds and I am active US Army so I keep myself in good shape. But I just feel like I'm the odd duck at every pool these days.

Any thoughts?

Brief On! At our community pool briefs rock about 1/3 of the crowd with jammers and square-cuts making up the balance. I live in a small town two hours from a large city. In 20 years of lap swimming I have NEVER ONCE heard anyone comment on any other person's swim suit other than to offer compliments. I am 5' 10" and 145 lbs. Bot my first brief to reward myself for swimming 10 laps without stopping. Never looked back.

• matthew a said:

Daniel C210 said:

I have been swimming for over 12 years now and I still try to keep a regular lap swim exercise schedule. I was on a Masters team at my old University's pool for a brief period before I had to move, so now I"m just on my own.

Any thoughts?

Brief On! At our community pool briefs rock about 1/3 of the crowd with jammers and square-cuts making up the balance. I live in a small town two hours from a large city. In 20 years of lap swimming I have NEVER ONCE heard anyone comment on any other person's swim suit other than to offer compliments. I am 5' 10" and 145 lbs. Bot my first brief to reward myself for swimming 10 laps without stopping. Never looked back.

Sounds a lot like my experience actually. Thanks!

• I live in Los Angeles, in my pool a lot of men wear briefs, (more than jammers), I'm 46 and even have a belly prefer swim briefs in the pool or beach.
    I think you can wear what you want everywhere, doesn't matter what other thinks. Life is just one. Lol.

• You're definitely not alone wearing swim briefs. I wear briefs 100% of the time at the university pool where I swim with a Masters club. I see maybe 2 or 3 other guys wearing them at our pool with the rest being a mix of jammers and board shorts. I started out swimming with the jammers and then decided to go for a Speedo brief a couple years ago when I decided to get serious with swimming. Haven't looked back since. Like some previous posters remarked I found jammers to be too restrictive in the legs. Been wearing bikini brief underwear for years so it was a pretty easy transition for me to make. I wear briefs at the beach sometimes.

The Clubswim and Sporti Euro cut briefs have become my favorite suits. I haven't had any negative comments from anyone. I'm 38, in pretty decent shape at 6'0 190lbs and quite comfortable with my body. Don't worry about what others think as most folks don't care what suit your swimming in. Keep rockin the briefs!

• Matt P said:

You're definitely not alone wearing swim briefs. I wear briefs 100% of the time at the university pool where I swim with a Masters club. I see maybe 2 or 3 other guys wearing them at our pool with the rest being a mix of jammers and board shorts. I started out swimming with the jammers and then decided to go for a Speedo brief a couple years ago when I decided to get serious with swimming. Haven't looked back since. Like some previous posters remarked I found jammers to be too restrictive in the legs. Been wearing bikini brief underwear for years so it was a pretty easy transition for me to make. I wear briefs at the beach sometimes.

The Clubswim and Sporti Euro cut briefs have become my favorite suits. I haven't had any negative comments from anyone. I'm 38, in pretty decent shape at 6'0 190lbs and quite comfortable with my body. Don't worry about what others think as most folks don't care what suit your swimming in. Keep rockin the briefs!

I haven't tried the Sporti Euro's but I've heard good things about them. Thanks again for all the tips!

• Daniel C210 said:

Any thoughts?

Hello Daniel, came across your post and figured I would reply, and as You can tell by all the post,You are definitely not the only one left who wears the briefs lol, So yeah, I'm 53 years old and have been wearing the swim briefs as long as I can remember. Tried the jammers a while back and they weren't for me, just didn't feel right, been wearing the briefs so long I just couldn't switch over. Still love the briefs.
    P.S.
    I am not the same Matt P who previously posted in this thread.