Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Workouts for People with Arthritis

• What is the best workout for arthritic patient?

• I have knee/hip issues and I started just with walking laps in the shallow end while wearing watershoes.

• I have a noodle workout that I've added to my water aerobic routine which is great for my recovering ankle inquiry.

• I have found any movement in the water, as long as it's within your comfort zone/ range of motion, is good for arthritis. Water temperature may be another consideration, too.

• Using pull buoys, swim fins and paddles can help too. One woman who swims where I do wears a chest/body float when she swims laps. I found that shorter fins are good for legs but might be hard on knees and ankles. You might start with snorkel fins to get a better leg workout. Vary your stroke selection based on what you can do with the range of motion you have and swim shorter distances, like one length and rest then two lengths and rest. Relax and don't try to be a Ledecky or Adrian in the pool.

• What is the best workout for arthritic patient?

You probably need to find water that has a warmer temperature. Of course that is a relative statement depending on where you live and what type of body of water you are using. Try not to get chilled!
    You do not want to put undo stress or impact on your joints or muscles. If you are walking or jogging, take it easy. Walk " ball of foot to heel" and be gentle! Water shoes might help, but they will weigh you down if you are kicking or swimming.
    Whatever you choose to do, be patient with yourself. The key is to start slowly, build upon your exercise, set goals and do it consistently.
    There will be days that you will have to force yourself to exercise. Do it! You'll feel so much better when you do! Good Luck and Enjoy!

• I know at many YMCA's, they have water programs for people who have arthritis, and also for people who need physical therapy. I saw listed on Old Colony YMCA's website, they have these programs:

Joint Power/Arthritis

Water Arhritis Aerobics

Also, at Hockomock YMCA's, they have:

Aqua Arthritis

I hope this helps.

• It depends on what joints are the most problematic. As long as the water isn't too cold, and you are mindful of your more sensitive joints, either swimming, walking, suspended jogging, aqua tai chi or a traditional water aerobics class can be appropriate. Just always be willing to not strain your range of motion (which should be better in water anyway) and to keep weight-bearing light.

• There are many types of arthritis. Your doctor is the best source of advice for your particular case.

As a generality for non-rheumatoid types one wants to keep the joints moving freely but gently through their normal ranges of motion. The water is the most supportive place for this type of exercise and gives just enough resistance. Exercise to tolerance. Don't over-do, but try to get just up to that point.

• Years ago I had a several problem in my legs, since I started swimming in a regular way I feel me now better and strong, even don't need cane during cold seasons. I think all activity in the pool has a lot of benefits.