Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Need Help Swimming

• I’m an adult learning to swim and I’m struggling. What can I do to stick with it?

• Practice makes perfect, remember to be persistent, try to integrate swimming into your routine. And of course, never give up!

• You can sign up with your local YMCA, the instructors are super helpful and supportive.

• For me, what allowed me to expand the length of my swims was getting a waterproof case for my MP3 player + waterproof earphones from this site, and listen to audiobooks.

• So far all suggestions that everyone here has suggested sound good. I would personally second the suggestion on picking up some lessons at your local YMCA. But otherwise just practice, practice, practice.

• Get a kick board. I loved using the kick board. I could see what was happening around me and feel more apart of the pool community. Making eye contact and smiling at other swimmers makes exercising much more fun.

• I've found that in the beginning the struggle with learning a stroke is frustrating and tiring. Being uncomfortable in the water, while struggling to stay afloat is discouraging. I found that once I got comfortable floating in the water everything else about swimming became less frustrating. Do yourself a great favor and read everything you find interesting on the subject of 'drown proofing'. Even the most advanced swimmers have found that the basic knowledge of 'drown proofing' has made them more comfortable in the water. Keep on swimming.

• You may want to see if you have a Masters Swimming team around. Usually they have a developmental group for adults learning to swim, so you don't have to be good. You get coaching, and the team support -- for some people, it can be easier to stick with it if there is a social aspect.

• I’m an adult learning to swim and I’m struggling. What can I do to stick with it?

Well, first join a structured workout group if you can, like US Masters. Don't let the word, "Masters" intimidate you. They are welcoming to beginners. I motivated myself by buying lots of nice suits and equipment. Also, just think of it as a normal part of your routine, like brushing your teeth. My coach provided great motivation by writing things on the board like "This is fun You do this because you want to" and the "5 P's", Patience, Practice, Pleasure, Persistence and Perseverence.

• Yes, it is a challenge, but one of the best things you can do for yourself.

There is getting comfortable in the water and losing any fears that may cause panic. There is learning to breathe properly. There is learning stroke mechanics and developing a streamlined body position. Then there is coordination, strength and cardio development--all a big challenge but worth every effort invested.

There are many online resources available now. Many videos on Youtube. Also swimsmooth.com and other sites.

Good luck and have fun with it.

• I take lessons. It's good to have an instructor to pint out flaws.

• I learned to swim as an adult - I was almost 50 years old. I knew how to float but other than that I was a non-swimmer. I found taking lessons to be very important. In addition to the lessons I went to the pool on non class days to practice what I had learned. I also found that learning to swim is not an over night endeavor - I took lessons for 6 months and I still was having trouble with the timing of the stroke and breathing while doing the crawl. - I stuck with it and at about a year and a half I found that I had the timing down. Right now I am working on improving my bi-lateral breathing, and starting to learn flip-turns.

Build on what you are doing well and don't focus on what you don't know.

• No matter what one's skill level, it is great to improve.

• I think that if you join at a local gym it will help you stick to a swim program because you are already paying for the gym.

• Start with taking a few lessons. I think that educating yourself and learning proper form can help you to swim more efficiently and want to stick with it.

Make your time in the water your time. It's your time to focus on just you! Enjoy it!

• Kudos to you for beginning your journey! I would love to try it, but I really lack the courage! 😔

• You can do it!

Find what is available in your area. Red Cross, Y(WM)CA, schools, local public pool, health clubs. Most pools offer lessons and water safety classes, as well as other water activities.

It is one of the best investments in your self.

Find a friend to do it with you.

• I also agree about getting lessons from your local YMCA. Also, too, at the Y I go to, there was an aquatics director there (unfortunately she is no longer there, & there is a different aquatics director who took her place) who would come up with these different challenges (e.g.: to see how much you can increase how far you swim each time you are there--the challenges would last certain lengths of time). I really enjoyed those challenges. Maybe if at your Y, there's an aquatics director who comes up with challenges, too, perhaps that wouls help you keep on swimming and not give up. :) :)