Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Best Way to Warm Up

• To warm up or not to warm up? What do you think? What is your routine and does it really help prevent cramping/injuries?

• Just like stretching before you run, it is important to warm up before swimming to ensure your muscles are prepared and ou do not cramp up. My daughter's coach does activation exercises with the swimmers before starting swimming practice.

• I like to run before I swim. Then getting in cold water feels super good. I have never had trouble with cramps.

• My warm up routine is to stretch my body before training and before battling in swimming.

• Definitely a light warm-up. Put joints through full range of motion and elevate the heart rate a bit.

• Warming Up is extremely important because it gets your muscles ready to race. However how much you do is based on you and your body. For my daughter she has to do a long warm up in order for her to feel ready to race but I know for others a simple stretch and 200 warm up is enough for then to feel ready.

• HI Steve! I'm 2-time Olympian Chloe Sutton! Hopefully I can help!

You ABSOLUTELY need to warm up. Do some active stretching to get your body warm and loose before you get in. THEN also do a light swim warmup once you get into the water. Everybody is different as far as what works for them, but a warmup is very important for you to avoid injury and perform best!

Good luck! :)

• I stretch out then use my foam roller for about 3 minutes. Then, in the water I'll usually do 20 mins of easy swimming consisting of a 400 free, 3×100 free, 4×50 HVO, and then some drills/starts

• I like to run before I swim. Then getting in cold water feels super good. I have never had trouble with cramps.

Thank you for the tips.

• Everybody has a different style of warming up, but this is what I feel works best for me. I am a college swimmer that swims sprint and mid-d freestyle. I start my warmup by loosing up, usually by swimming a 500 free (or a 1000 if I'm feeling really tight that day). Then I do some easy kicking to wake my legs up a little bit (generally 200-400 yards). After that I do some build or descend sets (or both) to get my body into the higher gears. Once my body feels like it can start taking things a bit faster, I start working on my speed drills that really get me warmed up for my sprints. Some of my favorites include practicing break-outs with 6 fast strokes, 25 easy 25 full out sprint, and head-up free (aka Tarzan) where I try to spin my arms as fast as I can and get my turnover up. After that I do a little bit of easy swimming, and then work on any other things that need to be worked on beforehand (for example, a few pace 50s to get my 500 pace into my muscle memory or maybe a few drills to remind me where my head position is supposed to be). After that I usually do two starts and then do a 100-200 easy.

Remember, a warmup should get your heart rate up, and it should be long enough that your body is completely primed before your race. As a general rule my coach says that everybody, including sprinters, needs to do at least 1400 yards. While it is true that distance swimmers need to do more yards than sprinters during warmup, sprinters cannot get away with just doing a 300 and then doing a couple of sprints off the block and call it good; they need a longer warmup than that in order to get their body fully ready for their race.

• Hi Steve, daily warm up is really essential for your body. Warm up is nothing but an exercise to be carried out so that you wont feel exhausted or drained and can carry out your daily chores very well.

• Echoing the rest of the group, warming up is essential to any exercise you're doing!

My warm-up routines differ based on the aquatics activity I'm doing. If I'm swimming, I'll put in 1,000 yards: 300 EZ/build swim, 200 kick (w/board), 200 pull, 300 medium/build swim. For water polo, I'll start with a 300 easy. Then, alt 25s kick, breaststroke & egg beater in various configurations. Finally, about 5-10 mins of catch between a pair or groups of three. If I'm paddling, I'll go through 15 mins of dynamic stretches, focusing on arms, shoulders, core, and hips on the shore. Then, I'll start with 5 mins of EZ paddle, followed by 20 slow pulls each side, focusing on technique and balance.

Warm-ups should always be activity specific, but enough to get the blood flowing to the muscle groups you're about to stress and prepare the heart for an easy switch to a more activity heavy rhythm.

• Banned

Before swimming you can warm up by stretching your body. You can do forward lunge, standing T's, 90/90 stretch and many other.