Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Olympic training

• How many hours a day/week do you train to be good enough for the Olympics?

• It definitely varies, but I've read that that most work out practically every day - perhaps one or two recovery days per week. And keep in mind that it's not just swimming either - a lot of Olympians lift weights, focusing on shoulders, chest and back and take yoga for stretching.

• Hi Danielle! I'm 2-time Olympian Chloe Sutton! Hopefully I can help!

At the peak of my career I was swimming 10 times a week (2 swims on Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, and 1 on Wed and Sat. No swimming on Sunday) with each practice being around 2 1/2 hours and between 8-11k.

My "dry" workouts were Mon, Wed, Fri with a personal trainer for an hour.

I would also try to get a 5 mile run in 2 times/week whenever I could fit it in.

I hope that helps!

• Danielle,

2-Time Olympian Mark Gangloff here. I would agree a lot with what Chloe wrote about the weekly schedule. My biggest variation with Chloe training would be the amount of swimming I did per workout. I usually did about 4,000 - 6,000 yards or meters per workout. That is because I swam much shorter events and I did breaststroke. It is hard to swim that much breaststroke volume in a workout so I had to go shorter and faster during my workouts.

But to answer your question a different way. How much swimming per day/ week do you have to do in order to make the Olympics? You really have to look at cumulative amount of work that needs to be done in order to get to the top. I did the above schedule for about 8 years straight before making my first Olympics and then did it for another 12 years after that. So that is 20 total years of doing 9 or 10 water workouts a week and 3-5 dryland workouts a week.

I hope this answers your questions. Go USA!!!

Mark Gangloff