Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Snorkel Mask and a Scuba Mask

• What is the difference between a Snorkel Mask and a Scuba Mask?

• The main difference is the size/shape, Scuba mask will be a bit larger than a Snorkel mask. Scuba masks will have a nose cover and most Snorkel masks do not.

• If you're doing more than swimming near the surface for snorkeling, you might want to get a mask with a nose bridge, though. It helps to force you to breathe through your mouth.

• A purge valve is simply to remove water once entering the snorkel, a dry top will assist in keeping water out of the snorkel completely.

• Volume is a primary difference. Or shape, as stated previously. If you will never free dive, the full-face snorkel masks let you get around having to mouth breathe, if that's an issue. I have a larger-volume mask that squeezes and tends to fog more, so I wouldn't make that same choice again.

• Agreed, but let me add, from recent experience, that the dry snorkels squeeze a lot on free dives. I learned just to spit out the mouthpiece upon submerging, if that's an issue for anyone. But that defeats the dry thing. So, maybe change this to consider whether you really want a dry snorkel if you plan to free dive :-)

• Agreed, but let me add, from recent experience, that the dry snorkels squeeze a lot on free dives. I learned just to spit out the mouthpiece upon submerging, if that's an issue for anyone. But that defeats the dry thing. So, maybe change this to consider whether you really want a dry snorkel if you plan to free dive :-)

Hello! I'm a certified freediving instructor and retired competitive freediver for Team USA; one of the 1st safety rules of freediving is to spit out your snorkel before descending on every single dive. Reason being ~ if you happen to push your limits a bit and experience black-out while surfacing, the snorkel in your mouth provides a direct passage way for water to enter your lungs - a very dangerous recipe for drowning.

The dry snorkels are actually the opposite of a preferred snorkel for safe freediving ~ the bulkyness adds a lot of drag and resistance which goes against your goal of being super hydrodynamic. Also, the added dead-air space means you are likely breathing in higher percentages of previously exhaled CO2 when your breathing prep should be all about getting as much oxygen as you can...

• What is the difference between a Snorkel Mask and a Scuba Mask?

As far as function, there isn't a whole lot of difference ~ both should cover your nose for ease of breathing soley thru your mouth - whether it be thru the snorkel or SCUBA regulator.

A "SCUBA mask" may have more side windows for a wider field of view while completely underwater, but that also adds bulkyness as the mask profile will be wider; farther out from your face.

Number one feature should be comfort ~ you can see how well a mask fits by placing it on your face (without strap) and inhaling gently thru your nose. If it sticks, you have a good seal, and probably a proper fit. If it falls, try a different style!

Tempered glass lens are more resitance than plastic ones, always store your mask in it's original mask box, and rinse with fresh water after every use! Hang by strap for drying, out of direct sun.