Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Breathing Techniques

• I roll too much to the side while breathing, what's the best solution to correct this?

• I roll too much to the side while breathing, what's the best solution to correct this?

I do the same thing during my freestyle, and I have tried the paddle drill. You get an extra paddle and place it on your head so that you push it along in the water as you swim. If it falls off, you're rotating too much.

• When you go to breathe, try to breathe with one goggle in the water, and the other out.

• For freestyle, try the finger tip drag drill. The folks I've seen with too much rotation are often moving their arm and hand in a large arc during the recovery. With each stroke, try keeping your elbow high and drag your fingers across the water during the recovery. This will make it difficult to over rotate your body and help you to focus on where your head is during the breath.

Let me know if this helps! I have a couple more thoughts if you can be more specific to your stroke.

• I think it is first important to set a bilateral breathing pattern so you are working both sides of the body. When you breathe to the side try moving your mouth and lips to the side which allows you to get enough air without over rotating.

• Hi there! I'm 2-time Olympian Chloe Sutton! Hopefully I can help!

I made a video about this! Watch

Good luck!

• Hi there! I'm 2-time Olympian Chloe Sutton! Hopefully I can help!
    I made a video about this! Watch

Good luck!

Hi Chloe! Welcome to the forums!
    This was a great video, thanks!! I wish I knew where to find a similar swim treadmill - that looks IDEAL for analyzing one's stroke technique. :-)

• I second the welcome and the video input. Thanks Chloe. Great to have you here.