Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Tech Suit Longevity

• What is the longest you've made your tech suit last?

• What is the longest you've made your tech suit last?

It depends on the brand, and I believe ultimately the fabric. My speedo lzr elite 2s generally last around 3 meets (about 28 swims + minimal warmdown), but by the 3rd meet I try to use it as a backup only, or only for prelims because it is visibly worn by then. My speedo lzr racer x ripped during its second meet. And finally, my arena carbon pro lasted the longest, around 3 full meets (36 events or so), without too much wear.

• How do I know when my daughter's tech suit is no longer helpful? She says it feels good in the water and it doesn't look worn. She has worn it for an entire swim season but only wears it in a final or championship meet.

• How do I know when my daughter's tech suit is no longer helpful? She says it feels good in the water and it doesn't look worn. She has worn it for an entire swim season but only wears it in a final or championship meet.

Depending on the quaity of the suit it could last longer or shorter than other suits. Usually when the water repelling covering is gone(dump a handful of water on it to see how its holding up, it would all bead off ) then it doesnt give as much of that gliding feel. So I usually would only use it or smalller meets as it still has some compression.

• You can tell visually when the suit is wearing out by the amount of water that beads when you get out of the pool. Second the weight of the suit: it absorbs more water and weighs more as it wears, and the drying time increases. Third thread wear- you notice this most on the butt seam on the guys suits, and the breast plates on the girls suits- the spandex starts to break and unravel, and you see the white threads- once you see this, your suit is on its last leg. Fourth- you notice it as you swim- there's no better streamline then the first day in a new suit, and the compression during flip turns, it gets progressively worse with each meet until it feels not much better than a new practice suit. I get more wear out of the boys suits than girl suits. Both kids use the Speedo Lazer Elite 2 suits due to their body types (the Arena Carbon Pro suit does last longest for the boy, but the legs are just too tight for my son). I size down one size from the boys practice suit and 3 from the girls practice suit. I typically only use the tech suits for championships only (with the only exceptions if there is a swim they're a few tenths off a cut). I get 6 full championships out of the boy suit and 4 for the girls suit. This is 3 days of prelims and finals and relays, so about 100 swims for the boys suit, and about 70 swims for the girls suit. My kids take care of their suits: rinsing with cold water and flat drying - absolutely no wringing and not leaving them rolled up in a damp swim towel between prelims and finals (which 90% of swimmers do- until they have to pay for their own tech suits).

• Son's oldest tech suit is a pair of Arena Carbon Flexes going on 30 events now. Compression he says is ok, but the suit is starting to absorb water. Water still beads off but not as well and drying time is longer now. Visibly still looks good though. From now he's decided to just use it as a back up.

• Excellent post Eva! Thanks for the great info regarding tech suits.