Men's
Kids'
Gear
Facility
Shop By Activity
Shop Sale
Shop By Brand

Calories

• Is it true that swimming is the fastest way to burn calories? I have a hard time believing you burn more calories in a 50 minute swim than you do running 5 miles.

• Not real sure about calories but I know that swimming is the best exercise. Not only does it use every muscle in your body but there are no hard impacts on your body like running creates in the knees and ankles.

• Rodney Lehman Rodney Lehman said:

Not real sure about calories but I know that swimming is the best exercise. Not only does it use every muscle in your body but there are no hard impacts on your body like running creates in the knees and ankles.

That is true, thanks Rodney!

• I think it also has to do with how fast you swim, what strokes, etc. Butterfly is going to burn more calories than a slow breaststroke, and swimming ~4,000 yds in an hour is going to burn more than swimming ~2,000, just like running for an hour at a 8 mph pace burns more than running an hour at a 6 mph pace.

Fairly recently I tested at an average of about 650 cals/hr swimming based on heart rate. I'm usually getting in around 4000 yards an hour and I'm 135 lbs. Someone bigger and/or faster will probably burn more, someone smaller and/or slower would burn less.

Even if swimming may technically burn less for you than running, it may have some bonuses over running for fitness -- less strain on joints, more muscle groups used, good for lung capacity, etc.

• Olivia S said:

I think it also has to do with how fast you swim, what strokes, etc. Butterfly is going to burn more calories than a slow breaststroke, and swimming ~4,000 yds in an hour is going to burn more than swimming ~2,000, just like running for an hour at a 8 mph pace burns more than running an hour at a 6 mph pace.

Fairly recently I tested at an average of about 650 cals/hr swimming based on heart rate. I'm usually getting in around 4000 yards an hour and I'm 135 lbs. Someone bigger and/or faster will probably burn more, someone smaller and/or slower would burn less.

Even if swimming may technically burn less for you than running, it may have some bonuses over running for fitness -- less strain on joints, more muscle groups used, good for lung capacity, etc.

This is extremely helpful, Olivia. Thank you! I definitely agree that swimming has more perks— like no shin splints! :-)

• I think it is about 100 calories per 500 yards.

As others have stated, calorie burn depends on how fast you're swimming.

• I'd say that calories burned is different from person to person. How many calories you burn is really dependent on how far you swim, the different strokes, and the intensity of the workout. While that's different for everybody, swimming is still an incredible workout. You can work your whole body with very minimum impact on the joints which like others have said, cant be said for running or lifting.